Jul 5, 2010

4th of July 2010

We were BUSY!

Friday: worked, packed.
Saturday: Doctor's appointment in the morning for Ben. He had Croup this week. And a possible ear infection that is now a real ear infection that he is on antibiotics for. So, we then went to the store, pharmacy, then home to pack. Ben was still well enough to go to Kalamazoo. So, we packed up the SUV and headed for Kalamazoo.

It was Saturday of July 4th weekend so a little traffic. An hour and half drive that took us close to 3. We got to Stephanie's house in time for grilling, though. We grilled out, Ben played with all the kids and LOVED it. By 5:30pm ET we packed up and headed for the fireworks.

Ben continues to be a good sleeper who is generally in bed by 8pm. But, we wanted to see what happened so we took him to the fireworks. He played in the field for a while with his cousins. He was then just as happy sitting in the car watching DVD's (again, thanks Brian for talking me into the DVD player). We got there early enough to get parking spots where you can sit right next to your car. He eventually fell asleep in the car so peacefully.

The other kids continued to play. Including many sparklers and various other fireworks. It was strange seeing my nephew light them himself. I forget he's so grown up! Gosh Devin!

The fireworks started and as you can see, they were RIGHT ON TOP OF US! There were a few embers that landed so close we could hear and see them sizzle. Ben eventually woke up in the car but was just sitting there peacefully. When I brought him out he watched the last few minutes and LOVED them! He watched and pointed and laughed!

Sunday: after getting in late Saturday, Ben passing out in the car and not budging when we transfer him into the house (staying at Mom and Dad's with the Seelye family), we wake and have coffee. Well, me and Aunt Lenore have coffee. We eventually pack up to meet Grandma and Grandpa Huling at the boat.

It was a PERFECT boating day. The Seelyes came, too. It was hot, so we quickly ate lunch on the dock and headed out to the lake. Grandpa Huling anchored perfectly so we could wade into shore. The water was perfect. Ben was TIRED. He managed to hang on the swim platform and let us carry him around in the water for a while but eventually fell asleep in the aft birth with Madie (as shown in the video)! We cruised back slowly to harbor. The closer we got the more traffic there was. Brian brought us all the way in. My dad has always been Captain of this boat and wanted to see it from the bow. Brian got the hang of it and brought us all the way into the pier heads and beyond, just a little verbal direction needed.

We cruised up the river and back to dock. It was HOT once we got back to dock. We had a few snacks, Ben awoke in the aft birth happy. Then we headed back to Oak Forest, IL. Ben relaxed a bit more on the drive and was ready to go when we got home. I thought it would be fun to take him outside with all the fireworks and see his first, up close, sparklers. He did like the one we did as you can see! Only problem, the mosquitoes!!! We were all covered within moments. We quickly watched that one and then hurried inside where we all passed out soon after!

Brian and I are sun burned. We are all tired. Ben (and the rest of us) slept well and have a nice day off today (Monday July 5), home and in the air conditioning.

So much fun! Ben and his cousin Blake became the best of friends! Blake took such care good care of Ben all weekend! Such a sweet boy!

In case you are wondering, the Croup Ben had was earlier in the week and not that bad. We had one bad day then it turned into a little cold. Slept well throughout the ordeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hailey Slideshow

Slideshow for you!